Dota 2 has two available ways to display the ping: Temporarily and Permanently.
Method 1 – Temporarily Display the Ping in Dota 2:
- Run Dota 2 and play a match.
- During match write -ping into the message section.
- The ping will appear temporarily and will hide again. 😉 It’s for a quick check up, I like this option, so that I only see the ping when I need it!
Method 2 – Display the Ping in Dota 2 Permanently:
- Run Dota 2 and go the settings.
- Click on the options, then advanced options. Find the miscellaneous column on the right side.
- Select the fourth check box called Network Information.
- Now, Play Dota 2, on the top right corner of the screen, you will see all network information.
- The network information includes Ping along with Packet loss and FPS, it changes on run-time (dynamiacally) that means you can always see your live values. If you want to find out how to increase your FPS in Dota 2 check this guide.
What does Ping means and which Ping is normal in Dota 2?
Ping is the quality of the internet connection you are using to play Dota 2. The lower ping you have, the smoother your game will run. Ping is completely based on the internet connection of the user, not other factors can affect it.
Ping is the time between the send out of information from the source to the connector: If you play Dota 2 the timing between these describes how fast the actions are translated on your end device, while zero (0ms) would be 100% live. Low ping is necessary to play and react good, the gaming devices also often need translation time (like the monitor who often needs 2ms – 20ms to print the actions onto your screen).
A bad ping can lead to a low Dota 2 MMR.
The Dota 2 Ping is based on the Server Region and Distance:
To play with a low ping, the server location is playing a tremendous role. Some players are extremely near to big server centers and can profit from that, in general just make sure you are playing on the best possible option you got:
Before finding a match you have to select a Dota 2 server region, the area closest to your country has the lowest ping. The far you will go, the higher it will get. Dota 2 will assign the fastest server to you and in the newer updates you will not even see this screen, but if you play with friends who are far away the server location can really matter and make a difference. 😉
What is the average Ping in Dota 2? Which Ping is good?
The average ping varies according to the selection of region and internet connection. However, the average normal ping is around 80-110ms, but in some states, 30 is also average because the server/region is close to the country.
|0ms – 50ms||Awesome Ping|
|51ms – 100ms||Decent Ping|
|101ms – 150ms||The Ping could start to be a problem…|
|150ms+||Bad Ping with serious problems and delay!|
It is better to get a good internet connection to experience smooth gaming – at least 10 MBS internet speed is required. It will provide you with an average ping of 100ms and in areas, with advanced infrastructures, it can get close to 0ms. Some players who live far away from a server will face problems and lags, this can happen especially in big countries like Russia, where the servers are spread well but the distance can be high, in some cases too high! 😉
Why is Dota 2 Lagging? Components that affect the Ping:
Dota 2 has many elements that can cause lag and a high ping, but these are the main factors:
- Poor internet connection is the primary cause of high pings and lags.
- Packet Loss: Sometimes it does not affect the ping, but can cause single hard lags. What is packet loss? While playing Dota 2, you have to connect to a server: After connecting to the server, your computer has to transfer and receive data from that server. During the transfer, if data is lost, then it causes packet loss.
“Packet loss In” shows that data was not able to receive and “Packet Loss Out” shows that data did not reach the server. This lack of information causes jumps of the synchronization, for example, if units move into a direction but you have packet loss, the printed images on the screen could jump over to the next information that you have. That would create a big lag and it’s hard to deal with it.
- Low Frames per second: This has no connection to the ping, but slow rendering causes lags.
All these problems occur because of poor wiring or service of internet, wrong selection of server, software issue, old/wooden pc, and poor hardware. Get the right pc, internet connection and game tools to have the perfect setup for high skilled Dota 2. 😉
How to Reduce the
Ping and Lags in Dota 2?
As mentioned above, high ping and lag depend on various factors – to fix both of them let’s analyze the following points:
How to get a lower Ping in Dota 2
and Optimized Connection:
High ping and packet loss is directly connected to the internet connection and both of these are a significant cause of lag. However, you can improve your internet connection and get rid of these problems. Follow these simple steps to boost your connection:
- We are living in an advanced world where WiFi is everywhere. But wireless connections still often have problems with devices and packet loss. Wired connections, on the other hand, do not have these types of the issue it will give a massive reduction in your packet loss. Whenever you have the chance to use a cable, do it!
- Sometimes Windows and other operating systems, can cause ridiculous problems while playing Dota 2: Updates take half of the strength of your internet speed, that means Dota 2 is only getting the other half. Shut down all windows updates and application download. Moreover, do not run heavy software in the background. This method is highly effective, and maybe only by using this, your connection problems will sort out. Check which software tools are active, open your task manager and reduce the number of apps.
- Check if your router is in good condition or not. Pay excellent attention to the network cables and ports because they are the main components of good internet connection.
- Check the back-end of your wired connection. If the back-end wire is made of copper then immediately swap it with fiber optics because the rate of transfer of fiber wire is 10x stronger then ordinary wire.
- Do not let your siblings download or stream from the same network because is this situation the speed of the network will split again.
- Like mentioned above connect to the Dota 2 server with the lowest ping, and it will automatically reduce your lags in Dota 2.
Does the FPS affect the Ping in Dota 2?
Definitely not. Frames per seconds depend entirely on the performance rate of the system. It has no connection with Ping because Ping is network dependent and FPS is hardware dependent.
However, the lower your FPS will be the more lag you will face while playing Dota 2. It happens because your system cannot hold the graphics performance, the rendering process is slow and it ultimately causes lags. To get more details about the FPS, check our detailed Dota 2 FPS guide.
To support your pc and to make it easier for him, clean junk and perform manual disk defragmentation. It will remove all the trash from your system. Moreover, the performance and speed of the PC will increase. Before you run Dota 2, close all programs and start with a clean and fast system – it will help both numbers: Ping & FPS.
Optimize the System and Remove Lags while playing Dota 2
If you followed the given instructions and still face issues like lags and delay, then your system could be a serious problem. Is it outdated or does not support the minimum requirements of Dota 2?
Try to upgrade the RAM and graphics card of the system for further information you can check our system requirements guide it will help you for sure.
If you are unable to update your system, then follow these simple steps:
- Do not run any application during Dota 2.
- Please keep all the graphics settings to low (you can check our graphics setting guide).
- Change the Direct X settings, swap it from DX8 to DX9. Check which one is more efficient.
Dota 2 Console Commands for a Better Game Performance:
Console commands are something of which 70% Dota 2 players are not aware of because it’s a bit technical. Different console commands can give a massive change for the in-game Dota 2 experience. Control commands help the user interacting with Dota 2 by using a few predefined words of code.
How to enter Console Commands in Dota 2?
- Run Dota 2 and go to the settings.
- Find the Advanced options of Hotkeys.
- On the right side, you will find the interface column.
- In that column, you will find a console button. Select “/” or any desired key for the console activation.
- Come back to the homepage.
- Hit “/” and the console bar will open, now you can enter Dota 2 console commands!
Basic Dota 2 Console Commands for
Good Ping and better Game Performance:
Note: This option is only for advanced players. The following console options are just a few, Dota 2 has more than 200 console commands.
|-console||Opens and closes the Dota 2 console.|
|-high||High cpu priority.|
|-novid||Disables the starting video, this saves 3-4 seconds and pc performance.|
|-useforcedmparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd||Three commands that prevent Dota 2 from changing your mouse sensivity.|
|-dx 11||Forces Dota 2 to run using DirectX 11.|
|-map dota||This loads the Dota 2 map when you start the game – like this your first match will load faster.|
Dota 2 Ping Tools for a better Network Connection:
Besides the basic internet connection topics, you can make the use of tools that increase your Ping or at least give you control over it.
What is Kill Ping and can I reduce the Dota 2 Ping with it?
Kill Ping is a gaming VPN (software) that is used to reduce the ping and enhance the gaming experience. Almost every professional player uses it to enhance their experience. Kill Ping has a solution that creates its temporary server network that destroys all the lag from the online gameplay. According to the current review, Kill Ping can reduce up to 70% of ping.
There are many other tools in the market but somehow not much efficient like Kill Ping. Kill Ping has significant features that separate it from other software.
Features of Kill Ping:
- Temporary servers in 30+ continents, it optimizes the network communication.
- It provides game support according to the package selected.
- Not only Dota 2, but it also works on 100+ MOBA and MMORPG games.
- Subscribers can switch to any server, anytime.
- Different offer plans. Kill Ping also has a subscription fee, monthly, six months, and yearly.
- 24/7 Live tech support and Assistance.
Have you been able to improve your Ping?
We have heard many users have extreme different Pings according to their country!
Write into the comment section: Your country and your average Ping!